10. I love to read! Do you? Sometimes I feel if I don't have a book to read I'll go crazy! I like to read all kinds of books, especially autobiographies and stories that are based in a fictional world. I wrote a book a long time ago that is set in a fictional world that I need to finish. It's so much fun to write! I have lots of ideas and not enough time to get it all done!
11. My favorite animals include dogs and horses and elephants. I would love to have a horse one day, or two so they can be friends, but I hurt my back years ago and can no longer ride a horse. I think I'd still love to have one just to take care of and to braid his tail and his mane like Dane and Lori talked about in the book! What's your favorite animal?
12. I love to travel! When I was a young girl my aunt and uncle took me to London and Africa as well as many other amazing places. It was a wonderful trip that I was so grateful to them for giving me and it makes me want to take my children on the same types of trips. Neither one of my boys want to go to Africa, but there are lots of other places that would be amazing to see! We're planning a trip to San Francisco soon to show them around that city. It's so different with its steep streets and cable cars. Maybe Ellie will end up in Africa or London or San Francisco one day! Have you gone on any cool trips? I'd love for you to email me and tell me where you went and why it was so neat. Maybe it will be part of a story one day!
13. I was a Brownie when I was a girl and loved it! We would do all kinds of fun activities and go camping. I remember making Sit-a-pons and doing lots of skits. I would recommend joining Brownies, Girl Scouts or Cub Scouts just for the fun, plus you'll learn a lot too!
13 things about Colleen Dougherty, that's me!
1. I wrote Ellie Adventure: Picking out Puppies because my youngest son needed a new series to read. He really didn't like to read so it was hard to find him books that would interest him. I decided to use the excitement of having two new puppies in the house as a starting point for my story.
2. Supporting dog rescue is a big part of my book because I know that there are so many dogs and cats that are in shelters and at rescues that need homes. We recently became a foster family and have so far had one dog come live with us and then go on to her "forever family." We are expecting another dog soon! But before we knew that pretty much every breed of dog can be adopted we got our two dogs from a breeder nine years ago. My husband has horrible allergies so we thought we needed to get a purebred dog to avoid him being sick but now we know that we can contact rescues and they will help us find the kind of dog we would like amongst all the dogs that need homes. We are so glad that we have Sammy and Buddy because we love them so much and they are what inspired Skippy and Snickerdoodle!
3. Skippy Marshmella Carmichael is written after our dog Buddy Marshmellow Dougherty and Snickerdoodle is written after our dog Sammy Jedi Dougherty! We made up a list of names and then picked from the list, just like Ellie did!
4. I have two sons. Ryan is 16 and in 11th grade and Matty is 14 and in 8th grade. I love being their mom and couldn't love them more than I do! I bet your mom feels the same way about you!
5. I am married to Dean. He is funny and cute and sweet and kind. I like that he is fun to be with and we laugh together a lot! He helped me a great deal with my pictures for my book and for my website. I'm so glad he knows how to do all that computer stuff because I sure don't! I'm so lucky to be married to such a great guy!
6. We live in Arizona and we love it here! It's warm and sunny and we have the prettiest sunsets I've ever seen! I don't think we'll ever leave this gorgeous state! In my next book, Ellie visits Arizona. I wanted to showcase this fantastic state!
7. I love to create no matter what it is. I'm happiest when I'm with my family and I get to take something and make it into something else! My most favorite way to create is to write and I like to write all types of books. It's so much fun creating a world for Ellie Adventure!
8. Ellie Adventure was really named after my maternal grandmother. That means that she is my mother's mom. She was a super lady! I only remember her being kind and loving so I wanted to honor her by naming my title character after her.
9. I'm working on a "Warm Up Arizona" program that I saw on Facebook and modified to work for me here in Arizona. I will hand make 15 scarves from spring until fall and then I will take them downtown and tie them to light poles with a note that says they are not lost scarves but there for whoever should need them to keep warm. The scarves aren't perfect because I'm not very good at making scarves, but they will keep someone warm! I've completed 13 so far and I'll get all 15 done in time for the cooler weather. You may not think it gets cold in Arizona, but the nights can get pretty chilly!